Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?
Young Adult Book Club
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?
Young Adult Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap14%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap36%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap14%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap21%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap6%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_lcap9%Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Vote_rcap
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Empty
PostGhostgirl by Tonya Hurley

Sometimes high school really is a matter of life and death...

ghostgirl
Tonya Hurley

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake,
I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley GhostgirlFirst Impressions:I had seen this in the stores a couple of times, but I never had the money to buy it. I thought it was looked pretty interesting, but I wasn't sure. Then I saw Mrs. Hurley on Ace of Cakes, where they made a six-foot long cake of the main character and I was like, "Wow! I want to read that!" So, luckily when YABC was contacted to do an interview with Mrs. Hurley, I was able to receive these books and they surpassed my expectations!
Setting: I absolutely loved the setting! It was so original and due to the fact that the cover is illustrated, I imagined the setting as animated. Almost like a Tim Burton film. Loved it!
Characters: I loved the characters! The main character, Charlotte, is perfectly crafted. She's witty, fun, and relatable. Every character has a unique voice and personality. Scarlet and Petula, sisters, are polar opposites, which adds to the story. I loved Scarlet; she had me laughing all the time. Even the most minor character was great. Extremely creative! I even pictured the characters as animated (because of the illustration on the front), which made me love them even more. Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley Ghostgirl+2
Writing Style: I loved Mrs. Hurley's style. I usually dislike third person books, but I loved this. I loved her diction and her dialogue was very realistic. Everything flowed extremely well and there was never a time that I got distracted. Mrs. Hurley has one of the most creative styles I've ever come across. The story was great, but the writing made it even better.
Cover: I absolutely loved the covers! And even the inside format. It's amazing and one of my most favorite covers. The designer is definitely gifted. The style of it fits so well with the inside. Creative, edgy, and just awesome! Even the size of the book fit with the content; it's not the size of an average hardback.
Plot: I've said it once and I'll say it again...extremely creative! It grabbed my attention from the beginning and kept it throughout. I loved what it was representing because it was relatable. We all feel invisible at some point in our lives and this was a great way of pointing it out and exploring it. I thought the plot moved along at a great pace and it had all the emotions and especially some great humor. Loved it!
Final Thoughts: It was a great, fun book that I devoured in one setting. The second took me a bit longer just because of personal stuff. I loved the satirical element and I can't wait for the third book that comes out in July.

Ratings:

Setting: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Covers: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Absolutely! I think it would be great and relatable for any YA book lover!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley :: Comments

No Comment.

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

Page 1 of 1