Young Adult Book Club
Welcome to Young Adult Book Club!
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?
Young Adult Book Club
Glad you're here!
If you're not a member already, then what are you waiting for? Join the site and get access to not only the sections you see now, but Writer's Club, where you can share and read your own writings, Actor's Club, where you can roleplay to your heart's desire, and Real Life, where you can discuss anything you want with fellow members! We'd love to have you here!
And if you're already a member, log in why don't ya? Why are you even reading this?
Young Adult Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all young adult book lovers to get together and discuss their favorite books.

HomeHome  NewslettersNewsletters  Bulletin BoardBulletin Board  Join Book Club CircleJoin Book Club Circle  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We're actively seeking new staff members! here to see how to apply! No experience necessary! Smile

Click here to read this month's newsletter!

Click here to read YABC's Interview with debut author, Swati Avasthi!

The Month's Circle Pick: Fallen! Join the discussions by becoming part of Book Club Circle!

Check out Book Club's very own Homepage for all the information you want!

Check out the new and improved Bulletin Board for information on book releases, book signings, movie/tv rights, and more!

There are now Book Reviews that you can read! If you would like to be a blogger, please check here. We'd love to have you as a reviewer!

Please read the board guidelines before posting.

Please introduce yourself if you're new to the forum!

Start Discussing Book Worms!
Author 411
Tonya Hurley
Swati Avasthi

Are your an author, publisher, or agent and you would like YABC to conduct an interview? Contact Us and let us know!
Monthly Newsletters
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
Important Links
Homepage
Bulletin Board
Book Club Circle
FAQs
Site Suggestions
Latest topics
» Hi!
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm by megracer

» Rook by Monica MacDonald
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm by megracer

» YA mermaid fantasy: Into the Deep series by Missy Fleming
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm by aethra

» Favorite Author?
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm by jumpingbread

» Christian Louboutin Shoe
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm by cangliang

» christian louboutin peep toes
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» Christian Louboutin Outlet
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am by cangliang

» fashion CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN shoes online[
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am by cangliang

» l]Christian Louboutin Flats
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm by cangliang

Poll
What's Your Favourite book Genre
Drama
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap14%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 14% [ 11 ]
Fantasy
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap36%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 36% [ 28 ]
Horror
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap14%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 14% [ 11 ]
Romance
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap21%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 21% [ 16 ]
Tragedy
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap6%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 6% [ 5 ]
Other
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_lcap9%The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Vote_rcap
 9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 78

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evie J
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain Empty
PostThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain

A prodigal son. A dangerous love. A deadly secret . . .

The Dark Divine
Bree Despain

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain TDDcover First Impressions: This was another book that I found out about online. The cover was what dragged me in and the description was interesting. However, when I first started it, I didn't really know how I was going to like it. It was grabbing my attention, but I couldn't tell if I was intrigued or not. It was sort of a weird feeling.
Setting: The setting was okay. I wish I had more of a description. All we really got was that it was small. I had a hard time picturing it; only certain elements.
Characters: The characters were pretty good. I'm not crazy about them, but I thought they were pretty well developed. I liked the names of the Divine Family as well, that was clever. Sometimes, though, I was a little confused on ages on a few people, which made my mind jump all over the place. However, the main character, Grace, was a good character to follow. She wasn't too strong or too weak. There were places, though, when I thought she just reacted strangely; she was too calm in certain places and too over the top in others. It was in those places that I didn't find her believable enough, but other than that, she was good. Her brother, Jude, was probably the best developed in my opinion, but even he could have used some work. I also wish I would have fallen in love with Daniel more. I started to toward the end, but I wish it would have been more.
Writing Style:By no means is Mrs. Despain a bad writer - she's good - but I could tell she was new to writing. There were way too many "I"s and some sentences were pretty choppy. She has a lot of room to grow and I look forward to seeing her do so in future books. I felt she could have given more to certain areas. I don't think the details were as strong as they could have been. And what bothered me was that she mixed past tense with present and I was taught not to do that. So that was a little problematic. But she did have a gift for making me want to keep reading. I practically devoured the book.
Cover: I love the cover! It doesn't really relate to the book, but it's a great cover. The violet does relate in a way and it pops along with the white legs. It's one that stands out of the crowd at the store, that's for sure.
Plot: Now the plot was pretty well crafted! I wouldn't say that the description is misleading but it really didn't lead me to expect what happened. Which isn't a bad thing by any means. Mrs. Despain started the book with a twist and kept them coming. Throughout, I kept changing my mind. At one moment, I would think one character was responsible. At other moments, I would think someone else was involved. It was all over the place in a good way. There were a few places were I got just a tad bit confused, but it wasn't too big of a deal. The ending really makes me curious for the sequel, The Lost Saint.
Dislikes: This has nothing to do with the book itself, but I hated the way it was formatted. The font was bold and there are letters in some places and the font used to write those were too hard to read. I found myself trying to read it instead of trying to process what I was reading when I got to the letters.
Final Thoughts: I can't decide whether I liked this book, really liked this book, or loved this book. It's definitely worth the read and I can't wait for the sequel, so I guess I really really liked it and loved certain parts.

Ratings:

Setting:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Cover: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★
Recommend it? Definitely! It was a great read and a book I couldn't put down. Check it out!

This has been a review by Evie!!! Peace out!

Last edited by Evie J on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain :: Comments

LibielShadow
Re: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:23 pm by LibielShadow
Read it.
Don't agree on most of the things you mentioned. But it was a decent and honest
review, which is good.
And the sequel is called The Lost Saint, not Soul. Smile
Plus. the Mythology she used blew me away.
Original, like the story! I love you
Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm by Evie J
The Lost Saint, that's what I meant! haha! I just fixed that.
This is why we don't have one reviewer because we all see things differently.
Most of it was religion-based which wasn't that amazing to me. It didn't blow me away or anything.
Post  by Sponsored content

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Page 1 of 1